My Lollipop Moment

   My lollipop moment isn't exactly a lollipop moment since the person who gave me a "lollipop moment" would have known that I was moved by her words at that time.

민족사관고등학교에 대한 이미지 검색결과
 
   My sister was a KMLA student, a 16th waver. As long as my memory is correct, she loved going to school and wanted me to follow her path of being a KMLA student. Being a kind sister, she did not force me in any way, therefore I only had a mere thought of, 'Am I really going to KMLA?' when I was in middle school. Of course, KMLA is not the type of school that you can go with just mere thinking. You have to study and get ready for the many interviews to come.

   It wasn't easy. My anxiety that I was surely going to fail got me depressed enough during summer vacation in 2017 to quit my voyage of the challenging "KMLA road." I changed my mind after about a month, as I thought I had nothing to lose. Still, deep inside, I was still uncertain about my decision about going for KMLA. That was when I met my school math teacher for a talk. She was my home room teacher at the time and hearing upon that I was getting ready for KMLA again, laughed cheerfully and told me, "If you've got a knife, you should pull it out." (칼자루를 쥐었으면, 칼을 뽑아야지) Those words changed my mind. Yes my hand was on the handle of the knife, since I did choose to walk, although uncertain at the time, on the path to KMLA. All I had to do was pull out the knife; get ready for the many interviews with sincerity. After my teacher's pep-talk, I got rid of my "what-if" thoughts and focused on preparing for KMLA. The result? Here I am.

   I do wonder sometimes if my life would have been for the better or for the worse if I had not changed my mind even after hearing my teacher's words. Who knows how the outcome would have been? I may have gotten better grades, may have eaten delicious foods everyday and sleep at my own bed every night. Still, the new experiences I can receive when I am at KMLA tops all of it over. After all, there are only about 150 people in my age who can have the same experience. What is more valuable than that?

댓글

  1. Who is your sister? I wonder if I taught her. This is similar to your final exam. Good narrative flavor and very compelling and intimate. I love the knife quote. Could be a good college essay bookend/theme.

    답글삭제

댓글 쓰기

가장 많이 본 글